Expanded Credentialing for New High Year Tenure (HYT)
Navy COOL continues to supports credential funding for enlisted Sailors retiring with 20 years of Navy service, and now provides expanded credential funding within the new High Year Tenure (HYT) length of service (LOS) gates.
NAVADMIN 143/17 announces updates to the High Year Tenure (HYT) policy of the Navy by amending HYT length of service (LOS) gates.
Effective 1 August 2017, HYT policy is amended to reflect new LOS gates for pay grades E4 through E6 for Active Component (AC) and Full Time Support (FTS) Sailors. Effective 1 August 2017, HYT LOS gates are as follows:
- E4 (AC and FTS): 10 years (from 8 years)
- E5 (AC and FTS): 16 years (from 14 years)
- E6 (AC and FTS): 22 years (from 20 years)
Now, E6 Sailors who have completed over 20 years of Navy service can continue to get credentials funded, even with with less than six months remaining in service. Member must be able to complete all certification requirements 60 calendar days prior to separation from Navy.
REVISED Time of Service Requirements
Sailors shall have, at a minimum, six months or more remaining on their enlistment or military service obligation at the time they receive the certification for which they receive funding. Waivers will be considered by the Navy Credentials Program Office under the following circumstances for Sailors who:
- Are being discharged or released from service due to a combat-related injury.
- Have less than six months remaining in service, but have already completed a minimum of 20 years Navy service. Member must be able to complete all certification requirements 60 calendar days prior to separation from Navy.
- Have less than six months remaining in service, but will complete 20 years Navy service (e.g. retiring at 20 years). Member must be able to complete all certification requirements 60 calendar days prior to separation from Navy.
- Are fully eligible and intend to reenlist or extend, but are awaiting execution of reenlistment or extension (i.e., pending service reenlistment bonus timeframes). Waiver package must include OPNAV 1500/57 Navy Credentialing Program Professional Certification and Licensing Voucher Request and a command endorsed and executed NAVPERS 1070/613 Administrative Remarks noting Sailor is fully reenlistment or extension eligible (not pending administrative separation, medical board, selection board, etc.) and Sailor's intention to extend or reenlist.