Navy-Funded Exam Reimbursement
The Navy's Credentials Program Office can only reimburse credentialing exam fees for enlisted personnel for expenses that are not eligible for a prepaid voucher, and only when specifically coordinated and authorized via the Navy's Credentials Program Office BEFORE you start, take, participate in, or otherwise obligate yourself or the government in any Navy-funded credentialing program or exam.
To be eligible for a certification or license reimbursement:
- Submit a voucher request, containing all the required information and endorsements, to the Navy's Credentials Program Office following all guidance found in the Navy-funded Exam Voucher Program section—BEFORE you start, take, participate in, or otherwise obligate yourself or the government in any Navy-funded credentialing program or exam. Pay particular attention to the What is the Timeline for Credential Funding section. You can find the Voucher Request form near the top of any page by clicking on Step 2 "Complete Voucher and Apply."
- In cases where the Navy's Credentials Program Office attempts to fund the credentialing exam, and the credentialing agency does not accept payment from the government, the Credentials Program Office will notify the member that he or she is authorized to pay for the exam(s) out-of-pocket and submit an SF-1164 and receipts for reimbursement.
- Reimbursement will not be authorized if a Navy-funded pre-paid voucher is available.
Note: If the Navy's Credentials Program is expected to reimburse the credentialing exam – under no circumstances shall the member (or member's command/organization) obligate the member or government to pay for a credentialing expense without first obtaining approval for reimbursement from the Navy's Credentials Program Office.
Timeline for Reimbursement of Funding
Timeline for Navy Credentials Program reimbursement of credentials:
- The Navy's Credentials Program Office must receive the SF-1164 form from the member or Command Approving Official NO GREATER THAN thirty (30) calendar days AFTER the exam date.
- SF-1164 forms received greater than thirty (30) calendar days AFTER the exam date will not be approved for payment. Waivers to the thirty (30) day deadline will require documentation from the command that the member was prevented from filing the claim due to operational requirements, illness, hospitalization, or other circumstances that were beyond the control of the member, and will be subject to the availability of funding.
- The Navy's Credentials Program Office will forward properly submitted SF-1164's and exam receipt(s) for Defense Finance and Accounting Services (DFAS) direct-deposit reimbursement within three business days of receipt.
- The reimbursement option window begins October 1st and closes the last Friday of May each fiscal year (FY). If a request meets reimbursement criteria after the last Friday of May the requested will rejected to be made available October 1st the following FY.