Credential: SARTECH III
Credentialing Agency: National Association for Search and Rescue (NASAR)
Renewal Period: 3 years
National Association for Search and Rescue (NASAR), SARTECH III level certification is the beginning level for SAR personnel. SARTECH III is recommended for any person who responds to and functions on SAR missions. Candidates who obtain this certification are to function within the limits of the certification described in the NASAR standards for SARTECH III. Candidates must pass a series of written and practical examinations that test the levels of knowledge and practical skills of SAR personnel.
More information can be found on the certifying agency's website.
Eligibility Requirements (View Details)
- Credential Prerequisite
Note: This credential may have multiple options for a Service member to meet eligibility requirements. Requirements listed here are based on the minimum degree required. To view other options, see the Eligibility tab.
Exam Requirements (View Details)
- Written Exam
- Oral Exam
- Practical Exam
- Performance Assessment
- NIMS Incident Command System
- Land Navigation & Orienteering
- SAR Resources
- Search Philosophy
- Search Tactics
- Clue Consciousness
- Search Operations
- Lost Person Behavior
- Helicopter Operations
There are a number of resources available to help you prepare for the SARTECH III examination:
- Best Sources
An additional resource is O'Reilly Learning Safari Books Online, a searchable digital library that provides online access to thousands of books, training videos and conference sessions. See the Educational Resources section on the Related Sites page here on COOL to learn how to get free access.
Renewal Period: 3 years
The SARTECH III credential has the following recertification information:
- SARTECH III recertification requires completion of 12 hours of CE training including a combination of successful completion of SAR related CE training or documented field experience or by retesting.
- Note: Marine Corps COOL will only pay recertification fees for the current billing cycle. Voucher requests for recertification fees must be submitted with proof of the current status of the certification (for example, a screen shot of your credentialing agency dashboard or a copy of a current fee receipt).
- This certification is recommended for any person who responds to and functions on SAR missions. Persons who obtain this certification are to function within the limits of the certification described in the NASAR standards for SARTECH III