Credential: SARTECH II
Credentialing Agency: National Association for Search and Rescue (NASAR)
Renewal Period: 3 years
National Association for Search and Rescue (NASAR), SARTECH II level of certification is the intermediate level for SAR personnel. SARTECH II is recommended for any person who functions on SAR missions as field searchers. Candidates are encouraged to always use the latest version of the FUNSAR text since it is updated regularly. There are no prerequisites required for a person to challenge the SARTECH II examination. The SARTECH II examination consists of written exam and a practical exam.
More information can be found on the certifying agency's website.
Eligibility Requirements (View Details)
- Credential Prerequisite
Note: This credential may have multiple options for a Service member to meet eligibility requirements. Requirements listed here are based on the minimum degree required. To view other options, see the Eligibility tab.
Exam Requirements (View Details)
- Written Exam
- Oral Exam
- Practical Exam
- Performance Assessment
The SARTECH II credential has the following other requirements:
- Candidate should be familiar with SARTECH II testing requirements and must have a compass for the written exam and all required equipment for the practical exam.
- Candidate must be physically and mentally capable of performing the functions of the certification.
- NIMS Incident Command System
- Basic Survival
- SAR Clothing
- Environmental Hazards and First Aid
- SAR Ready Pack
- Personal Equipment
- Travel Skills
- Land Navigation and Orienteering
- SAR Resources
- Search Philosophy
- Search Tactics
- Handling Evidence
- Clue Consciousness
- Search Operations
- Ropes and Rescue Equipment
- Legal Aspects of the Searcher
- Station #1: Land Navigation
- Candidates complete a course over terrain commonly encountered in the operations area in a specified time frame, not to exceed 600 meters.
- Station #2: Tracking
- Candidates identify and mark a footprint track left by the evaluator and follow the track to its end.
- Station #3: 24-hour Pack
- Candidates should carry the basic survival and safety supplies for their environment and the items to complete the stations.
- Station #4: Rope Skills
- Candidates demonstrate the ability to tie four basic knots and a harness with supplied rope and webbing.
- Station #5: Route Search
- This station entails locating and labeling clues in a given area demonstrating the ability to detect 50% of the clues using a route search tactic.
- Station #6: Area Search
- This station entails locating and labeling clues in a given area demonstrating the ability to detect 50% of the clues using an area search tactic.
There are a number of resources available to help you prepare for the SARTECH II examination:
- Best Sources
An additional resource is O'Reilly Learning Safari Books Online, a searchable digital library that provides online access to thousands of books, training videos and conference sessions. See the Educational Resources section on the Related Sites page here on COOL to learn how to get free access.
Renewal Period: 3 years
The SARTECH II credential has the following recertification information:
- SARTECH II recertification requires completion of 30 hours of CE training including a combination of successful completion of SAR related CE training, up to 50% of documented field experience, and/or instructing SAR classes or field trainings or by retesting written field and stations.
- Note: Marine Corps COOL will only pay recertification fees for the current billing cycle. Voucher requests for recertification fees must be submitted with proof of the current status of the certification (for example, a screen shot of your credentialing agency dashboard or a copy of a current fee receipt).