Credential: Footwear Certification
Credentialing Agency: International Association for Identification (IAI)
Renewal Period: 5 years
International Association for Identification (IAI), Footwear Certification is for applicant's who have in-depth knowledge and understanding of terminology, detection, recovery, photography, preservation, enhancement, analysis, comparison, manufacturing processes, and documentation and reporting of footwear impression evidence. Applicants are primarily employed in the field of Forensic Science with duties that include the examination of footwear impression evidence. Applicants must meet formal education, technical training, and experience requirements, and provide two letters of endorsement. Applicants must pass both a written exam and practical problems exam.
More information can be found on the certifying agency's website.
Eligibility Requirements (View Details)
- Credential Prerequisite
- Experience: 4 years
- Education: High School Diploma/GED
Note: This credential may have multiple options for a Service member to meet eligibility requirements. Requirements listed here are based on the minimum degree required. To view other options, see the Eligibility tab.
Exam Requirements (View Details)
- Written Exam
- Oral Exam
- Practical Exam
- Performance Assessment
Bachelor's degree plus two years of full time experience as a footwear examinerOption 2:
Associate degree (or documentation of 60 semester hours or 90 quarter hours of college credits) plus three years full time experience as a footwear examinerOption 3:
High school diploma or equivalent plus four years of full time experience as a footwear examiner
Applicants must have satisfactorily completed a qualifying training program in the examination of footwear evidence.
The Footwear Certification credential has the following other requirements:
- Applicants must submit two letters of endorsement from employers/supervisors or individuals who have knowledge of the applicant's experience as it relates to the examination of footwear impression evidence.
- Applicants must agree to abide by IAI's Code of Ethics included in IAI's Certification Operations Manual.
- The practical problems exam consists of the evaluation and comparison of a minimum of three separate cases with no erroneous inclusions or exclusions. Notes, observations and all supporting data used to reach an opinion must be returned with the original exam. Applicants have 60 days from receipt of the practical problems to work and return them.
There are a number of resources available to help you prepare for the Footwear Certification examination:
- Best Sources
- General References
An additional resource is O'Reilly Learning Safari Books Online, a searchable digital library that provides online access to thousands of books, training videos and conference sessions. See the Educational Resources section on the Related Sites page here on COOL to learn how to get free access.
Renewal Period: 5 years
The Footwear Certification credential has the following recertification information:
Footwear Certification is renewed every five years by accumulating 80 continuing education/professional development credits, completing a practical problem with no erroneous inclusions or exclusions, paying a recertification fee, and adhering to the IAI Code of Ethics. Certification holders must also be currently working in the field of Forensic Science performing duties that include the examination of footwear impression evidence.
Additional information can be found on the IAI website.
- Note: Marine Corps COOL will only pay recertification fees for the current billing cycle. Voucher requests for recertification fees must be submitted with proof of the current status of the certification (for example, a screen shot of your credentialing agency dashboard or a copy of a current fee receipt).